Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Update on my P. Rubromarginata - soaked leaves are not always healthy leaves

In my last post, I detailed how I had to dig up my Rubro in the middle of the coldest winter in 30 years and I discussed how well it seemed to have done.

I have now had a few days to observe it in my garage and it seems it is not as unscathed as I thought.  Here it is:


 

It seems I was fooled by leaves that had been drenched in water from thawing snow for a day or two.  Such leaves take on the appearance of healthy leaves but are in fact burned.  Still, the leaf burn appears to have affected only about 25% of the plant, which I would still call a success.  Surprisingly, my P. Aureosulcata 'spectabilis', which I failed to dig up, showed essentially 100% leaf burn, and I had protected it, though half-heartedly.

This soaked leaf phenomenon is something I think I first read on Alan Lorence's blog (can't seem to find the actual post).  Basically, leaves soaked in water seem to come back to life, but of course the effect is fleeting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment